Little Seeds Antenatal Classes
Little Seeds Antenatal – course content
The 4 sessions include:
- What to expect in the final few weeks of your pregnancy and how to navigate this time confidently and effectively.
- The early ‘latent’ phase of labour – how to understand the changes and process, enable your body to work at its best, facilitate progress and ease anxieties and discomfort.
- The active ‘first’ stage of labour – understanding what your body and baby are doing and how to help; ‘tools’ to minimise fear, since adrenaline puts the ‘brakes’ on the process of labour; strategies to help boost the hormones that progress labour and ‘turn down’ pain; the important roles of the birthing partner; explore the whole range of pain relief options. Simple breathing techniques, massage and some hynobirthing techniques are covered on a basic level.
- The birth of your baby and how to get the most out of the first hour as a new family, including the third stage of labour, bonding and the first feed.
- Newborn feeding – all the facts and information about breast feeding, presented in a balanced way, so that you can choose what is right for you as parents and for your baby, alongside practical support to give feeding your baby the very best start.
- Life beyond birth, including practical care of your newborn baby; information to maximise physical and emotional well-being as new parents; and boosting newborn brain development through parent-infant interaction.
- A comprehensive Little Seeds Information Pack is provided which covers all the need-to-know information relating to late pregnancy, labour, birth and early parenthood.
- An optional 2.5 hour fifth session is offered to cover essential baby and child first aid.
Our aim is to carefully and meaningfully give you all the information we feel that you and your partner need to know to help lessen fear, empower you in your journey and lay the foundation for a life-enhancing experience.
However, each course will be tailored to meet the unique needs of the group. There is time to ask questions and to chat with the other expectant couples.
We like to make each session interactive and practical, so that you and your partner feel physically and emotionally prepared for labour, birth and beyond.
Homemade cake is served half way through each session to facilitate time to interact as a group. Group contact details are shared if consent is given to do so. This provides the opportunity for connections beyond the group if desired. From experience leading antenatal classes as a Community Midwife for over four years, and from running Little Seeds since March 2017, it is evident that amazing friendships develop through these courses, that the mutual support and encouragement is priceless, and that years on some mums and their little ones are still meeting up.